May Suggestions, May We?
Dear Heavy Medal Readers, we hope you have discovered many worthy titles thus far, please
– Suggest books that might have a chance to contend for the Newbery. A Suggestion means: “this could be a contender, maybe…”, but doesn’t have to mean: “This is definitely a top Newbery possibility.”
– Please only suggest eligible books. The Newbery Terms and Criteria cover this. If you’re not sure if a title’s eligible, suggest it anyway and we can confirm or deny later.
– We just need title and author for Suggestions. No descriptions or justifications….that’s what will start up in September.
– Suggest up to 5 titles per month. Less than 5 is fine. The real Committee typically does not limit Suggestions, but there’s only 15 members. We’ll limit so that our list doesn’t get too long.
– Suggest only books that you’ve read. Or listened to…audiobooks are okay for Suggestions.
– Suggest books that have been officially published. If you read a pre-publication copy, you’ll need to wait until its publication date before putting it forward as a Suggestion.
– If someone’s already suggested a book that you think is worthy, go ahead and include it. We’ll post an update every month listing titles and numbers of Suggestions. Those rankings aren’t necessarily that meaningful…they definitely favor early-year publications, for one thing. But it can be helpful to see what’s on the radar of multiple readers.
– You’ll have several days to submit Suggestions…we’ll give a deadline each month.
If you have questions about the process, just ask below. And if you have any Suggestions to start us off, post below (title and author only, remember). We’ll take suggestions through the end of the day on Monday, May 13th.
Filed under: Process
About Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Roxanne Hsu Feldman is the Middle School (4th to 8th grade) Librarian at the Dalton School in New York City. She served on the 2002 and 2013 Newbery Committees. Roxanne was also a member of 2008-2009 Notable Books for Children, 2015 Best Fiction for Young Adults, and the 2017 Odyssey Award Committees. In 2016 Roxanne was one of the three judges for the Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards. You can reach her at at email@example.com.
SLJ Blog Network