Flashback Friday: Newbery Themed Desserts
On this Flashback Friday of the holiday weekend, let’s take inspiration from the Newbery symposium and come up with some fun Newbery themed desserts.
I’ve always been a fan of edible book festivals. My alma mater UIUC does one every year around April 1st. Take a look at the archives for some of their past creations, with a few Newbery titles: a CORALINE cake, “A Wrinkle in Thyme,” another Wrinkle in Thyme, a MR. POPPER’S PENGUINS chocolate tower, a “some pig,” sandwich platter from CHARLOTTE’S WEB, a GRAVEYARD BOOK graveyard cake
Some other ideas I have for Newbery themed edible book desserts are:
- When You “eat” a Tiger… a tiger decorated cake!
- Scary “cupcakes” for Young Foxes… SCARED fox cupcakes with scary, scary faces
- HOLES (a big box of donut holes!!!!)
- Eat the Stars (a big plate of star shaped cookies for NUMBER THE STARS)
- Oh and we can’t forget the dessert I made for the ALSC virtual edible books festival back in 2020 Crown, an Ode to the “Krispy” Cut
What are your Newbery themed dessert ideas? Let us know in the comments!
Filed under: Newbery History
About Emily Mroczek-Bayci
Emily Mroczek (Bayci) is a freelance children’s librarian in the Chicago suburbs. She served on the 2019 Newbery committee. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SLJ Blog Network