Be prepared for Heavy Medal Live Webcast January 19th
As the holiday season gears up, so does the Heavy Medal season.
We officially have a date, time, and sign-up link for our Heavy Medal live webcast. “What’s It Really Like? Join the 2024 Mock Newbery LIVE!“
Presented by: School Library Journal
Event Date and Time: Friday, January 19 | 1:00 – 2:30 PM ET / 10:00 – 11:30 AM PT
The Newbery Committee chooses the Medal winner behind closed doors, but here’s your chance to see how it works. Our expert Mock Newbery panel, the Heavy Medal Award Committee, discusses five of the best books of the year, following the process of the real Committee.
Watch, listen in, and join the debate with comments and questions before casting your vote to help decide this year’s Mock Newbery winner!
Moderated by “Heavy Medal” bloggers Steven Engelfried and Emily Mroczek.
The webinar will be recorded, and you’ll receive an email from Zoom with the link to the recording one day after the webinar. A link to a CE Certificate will be provided during the live session, and those who watch the recording can find the link in the Chat.
Other important dates/ news to remember:
- Our Early Six Booklist is live: books that will definitely be on our Heavy Medal Book List: ALEBRIJES, EB AND FLOW , THE EYES AND THE IMPOSSIBLE, THE LOST YEAR, THE MANY ASSASSINATIONS OF SAMIR, THE SELLER OF DREAMS, THE MONA LISA VANISHES by Nicholas Day
- Our Final Nominations open Monday November 27 and close Saturday December 2
- We’ll have a poll for the final Heavy Medal Book List open Weds. Dec. 6
- We open the call for Heavy Medal volunteers Friday Dec. 8
- The final book list goes live Weds. Dec. 15th
I look forward to narrowing down our books with all of you! Also remember we always welcome comments on past posts if you have some catching up to do (( know I do!)
About Emily Mroczek-Bayci
Emily Mroczek (Bayci) is a freelance children’s librarian in the Chicago suburbs. She served on the 2019 Newbery committee. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SLJ Blog Network