HMC Mock Results – No Winner Yet
Starting late Wednesday, members of the Heavy Medal Committee (HMC) cast ballots for the Heavy Medal Mock Newbery. We followed the voting structure used by the actual Newbery Committee:
- Each member votes for three books, ranking them 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
- Each 1st place vote counts as 4 points; 2nd place = 3 points; 3rd place = 1 point.
- A Medal winner must receive at least 8 1st place votes and it must have a lead of 8 points over the second leading title.
- If there is no Medal winner after the first ballot, books will be re-discussed, with a second ballot to follow.
- The second ballot will not include books that received no votes on the first ballot.
And that’s where we are now. We don’t have a first ballot winner. Second ballots have just been sent out to HMC members. Discussion begins below, with a chance to bring up new insights into the books that might sway voters. Any of the remaining titles may be discussed below, in any order. Readers who are not part of the HMC are welcome to chime in, but only HMC members will vote. Discussion will not be open long, since we want to find a winner by Friday at the latest.
Here are the results of the first ballot:
|Title||1st (4 pts)||2nd (3 pts)||3rd (2 pts)||Total|
|The Remarkable Journey…||4||2||1||24|
|Other Words for Home||3||2||16|
|Genesis Begins Again||2||1||11|
|This Promise of Change||2||2||10|
|Queen of the Sea||1||3||10|
|Pay Attention Carter Jones||1||1||1||9|
|Lalani of the Distant Sea||2||8|
|The Line Tender||1||1||7|
|The Important Thing About MWB||2||4|
|Scary Stories for Young Foxes||1||3|
|To Night Owl from Dogfish||0|
|Beverly Right Here||0|
Let the re-discussion begin!
About Steven Engelfried
Steven Engelfried was the Library Services Manager at the Wilsonville Public Library in Oregon until he retired in 2022 after 35 years as a full-time librarian. He served on the 2010 Newbery committee, chaired the 2013 Newbery Committee, and also served on the 2002 Caldecott committee. You can reach him at email@example.com.
SLJ Blog Network